08 February 2024

How is the term "Competition" perceived in US markets?

 Everyone brings with them a perceptual framework when they ponder new inputs. For example, I might claim the world is better off with flat, fair, open competition in our markets. I have my own understanding of what I mean by that, but it is not the same as others see it. No matter how much I'd like the term "competition" to keep a simple meaning, that's not how human languages work.

The simplest way I know to show this is to ask questions that probe at the cloud of related terms people have in their heads when they ponder "competition". I've tried this and noticed some people put it perceptually close to "tooth and claw". I don't because humans are social animals. Sure... we have teeth, but we aren't tigers. We don't compete with each other like tigers do, so I find it confusing when people relate "tooth and claw" so closely. Yet... they do. So... why? Why don't I?

No comments: